Monday, 7 September 2015

Review: Outlander by Diana Gabaldon (Outlander #1)

Title: Outlander
Series: Outlander #1
Author: Diana Gabaldon
Publisher: Penguin Random House
Publication Date: 1 July 2014
Pages: 864
Genres: Romance, Historical Fantasy, Time-Travel

Outlander by Diana Gabaldon

Scottish Highlands, 1945. Claire Randall, a former British combat nurse, is just back from the war and reunited with her husband on a second honeymoon when she walks through a standing stone in one of the ancient circles that dot the British Isles. Suddenly she is a Sassenach—an “outlander”—in a Scotland torn by war and raiding clans in the year of Our Lord . . . 1743.

Claire is catapulted into the intrigues of a world that threatens her life, and may shatter her heart. Marooned amid danger, passion, and violence, Claire learns her only chance of safety lies in Jamie Fraser, a gallant young Scots warrior. What begins in compulsion becomes urgent need, and Claire finds herself torn between two very different men, in two irreconcilable lives.
So I settled down to read this giant book and I could not stop. Claire has inadvertently been transported through time from 1945 to 1743 by some ancient standing stones in Scotland. Confused and disorientated she gets whisked away by some Scottish highlanders – it’s the story of her struggles and adventures trying to navigate the 18th Century and trying to get back to her own time.


I was absolutely fascinated all the way through. It was gritty and realistic story to me – it is chock full of violence, sex, and sometimes both at the same time.

 I have always wondered what it would be like to randomly go back in time, and Gabaldon really brings the world to life. The book is really massive but felt like it wasn't long enough – I just wanted to soak in every single last detail. 

The characters are unique, and I got really attached to a number of characters. I must confess there are a few tragic parts of the story that made shed some tears, I was so immersed in it.

 This is a 5-star book for me because I was constantly thinking about it and I desperately wanted to find out what was next. I would recommend it for people who like their historical fiction gritty, dirty and staying true to the time period in which it was set. It has a strong romance throughout and I really loved that – and I don’t normally like romances all that much.


No comments:

Post a Comment