Monday, 19 October 2015

Review: Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Title: Eleanor & Park
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publisher: Orion
Pages: 336
Genres: Romance, Young Adult

Eleanor & Park

Eleanor is the new girl in town, and she's never felt more alone. All mismatched clothes, mad red hair and chaotic home life, she couldn't stick out more if she tried.

Then she takes the seat on the bus next to Park. Quiet, careful and - in Eleanor's eyes - impossibly cool, Park's worked out that flying under the radar is the best way to get by.

Slowly, steadily, through late-night conversations and an ever-growing stack of mix tapes, Eleanor and Park fall in love. They fall in love the way you do the first time, when you're 16, and you have nothing and everything to lose.

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, Eleanor & Park is funny, sad, shocking and true - an exquisite nostalgia trip for anyone who has never forgotten their first love.

I loved this book - it was so sweet, so cute - I didn't want it to end.

It is a YA romance which normally would definitely not be my thing as I find romances a bit too soppy, cringe worthy and boring BUT Eleanor and Park was definitely not any of those things! 

Eleanor is the new girl, an outsider from a poor family where her mum gets beat on by her 'step dad', a place where Eleanor and all of her siblings all sleep together in one room and there aren't enough beds to go around. She's a bit chubby, is covered in freckles and has curly red hair. My heart went out to her, there were elements of her home life that spoke to me. I emphasised with her completely. 

Park is this quiet cool half-Korean kid who has a beautiful heart and thinks that girls don't really like asian guys. My heart went out to him too as he never quite felt good enough, tall enough, manly enough... 

Put these 2 quirky kids together on a bus one day and BAM, one amazing, heart-warming love story unfolds. This is a book I would read again it was so adorable. 

 I'm off now to check out Rainbow Rowell's other novels... she blew me away!


No comments:

Post a Comment