Friday, 30 October 2015

Review: Fables Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons by Bill Willingham

Title: Fables Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons
Series: Fables #5
Written By: Bill Willingham
Penciller: Mark Buckingham, Tony Akins, James Jean
Inker: Jimmy Palmiotti, Steve Leialoha, James Jean
Publisher: Vertigo
Pages: 166
Genres: Comics, Fairy Tales, Fantasy

Fables Vol. 5: The Mean Seasons

Collecting issues 22 and 28-33 of the hit VERTIGO series, this trade paperback features two tales of Bigby's exploits during World War II as well as "The Year After," which follows the aftermath of the Adversary's attempt to conquer Fabletown — including the birth of Snow White and Bigby's children!


Wow. Well this volume did not go how I expected.


In issue 22 Cinderella is an undercover agent working for Bigby. This was interesting as Bigby's role seems to have a lot of layers that I didn't expect. As this volume continues, there are hints that Bigby's role as sheriff was actually more complicated, and more surprising then I could ever have imagined.

Well everything went to hell didn't it. Snow has her babies, a bunch of Fables disappear and the results of the election were really unexpected. A lot of the roles characters had were shuffled around and I really didn't like the changes. Some new character introductions were intriguing enough that I actually can't wait to find out what happens next.

I love the little snippets of the characters past - and I really loved Bigby's past involvement in WW2. I can't wait to learn more of his and other characters past. What will become of the babies? In my opinion a much better volume then the previous one.



No comments:

Post a Comment