Monday, 2 November 2015

Review: A Man called Ove by Fredrik Backman

Title: A Man called Ove
Author: Fredrik Backman
Publisher: Sceptre
Pages: 295
Genre: Comedic Fiction

The Casual Vacancy
At first sight, he is almost certainly the grumpiest man you will ever meet. He thinks himself surrounded by idiots - neighbours who can't reverse a trailer properly, joggers, shop assistants who talk in code, and the perpetrators of the vicious coup d'etat that ousted him as Chairman of the Residents' Association. He will persist in making his daily inspection rounds of the local streets.

But isn't it rare, these days, to find such old-fashioned clarity of belief and deed? Such unswerving conviction about what the world should be, and a lifelong dedication to making it just so?

In the end, you will see, there is something about Ove that is quite irresistible...

This is a heart warming story of a man called Ove. He is your average quintessential grumpy pensioner who has been somewhat left behind by the modern world. Ove's hilarious observations about the people around him are really quite apt. Everyone has known somebody like Ove in their lifetime. 

As the story unfolds, the reader is introduced to Ove's life, and all the hardships and happiness he has been through. There is a lot of dark comedy, how Ove is constantly interrupted from committing suicide by annoying neighbours, and how even a modern rope can't even perform its function correctly as it snaps in half because of its poor quality. 

I found it so sad how Ove felt after his wife died and it was lovely to see Ove be embraced by a community without him knowing or even wanting it. Grumpy git right to the end. I grew so attached to Ove that his story had me at some points shedding a tear. Much like his neighbours, I grew to love that grumpy old git.


2 comments:

  1. I saw your review on LibraryThing and had to tell you that I agree 100%. I listened to the audiobook, which was really well done. I didn't expect to be so taken with this book, but it was a sleeper hit for me for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't expecting it to be so funny either. I never think to listen to the audiobook version of books, but I can imagine this book being very entertaining when narrated well.

      Delete