Wednesday, 20 January 2016

Review: Winter by Marissa Meyer (The Lunar Chronicles #4)

Title: Winter
Author: Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Puffin
Pages: 832
Genres: Young Adult, Science-Fiction

Winter

Princess Winter is admired for her grace, kindness and beauty, despite the scars on her face. She's said to be even more breath-taking than her stepmother, Queen Levana...

When Winter develops feelings for the handsome palace guard, Jacin, she fears the evil Queen will crush their romance before it has a chance to begin.

But there are stirrings against the Queen across the land. Together with the cyborg mechanic, Cinder, and her allies, Winter might even find the power to launch a revolution and win a war that's been raging for far too long.

Can Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, and Winter claim their happily ever afters by defeating Levana once and for all?
This is the amazing finale to The Lunar Chronicles, jam-packed with action from start to finish. Brilliant.

The setting for most of this book is Luna, which is a great change from Earth. There is no mystery left about Luna by the end of the book. I had been dying for more details about the moon and finally Winter delivers. It is so exquisitely detailed, so imaginative. There were plenty of political issues and Levana and her court are just as corrupt as ever providing some pretty creepy moments. Winter is the new addition to the crew and I love her. At first, when the reader is given a little snapshot of Winter in Cress, I was not too sure about her as she seemed completely insane. But Winter is so kind-hearted, so selfless and at times pretty funny that she became my second favourite character behind Cress.

Cress, once again is the integral pawn in this story. If it was not for her expert hacking skills, a lot of events that unfolded in this book just would not have happened. She is a great character and I am really hoping there is a story about her in The Stars Above due to be released this year.

I have to talk about the various romances in Winter, there are plenty of really cute moments between all of the four couples (Winter & Jacin, Cinder & Kai, Scarlet & Wolf, and Thorne & Cress), I really enjoyed every characters unique burgeoning relationships. My favourite couple would have to be Winter & Jacin because I really love how protective and caring Jacin is throughout the book. It is so romantic, so special, I really warmed to Jacin in this book after being sceptical of him in Cress.

There were points during Winter that I felt dragged a bit, just as our heroes get so close to their ultimate end goal something major happens that delays them, putting their whole plan three steps back. It was torturing but I found every single event that unfolded really interesting to read about. I think that it does add more layers which give something extra and entertaining to the overall story. The final battle is so epic, so intense - I was on the edge of my seat.

Overall, Winter is everything I wanted in a finale. Everything is wrapped up and I am satisfied I now know the end to this story. It is such a bittersweet feeling but I am excited to revisit the characters in The Stars Above later this year. The Lunar Chronicles is an amazing series, I would highly recommend.


No comments:

Post a Comment