Saturday, 27 February 2016

Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare (The Infernal Devices #1)

Title: Clockwork Angel
Series: The Infernal Devices #1
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Walker Books
Pages: 479
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy

Clockwork Angel

The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...
I think I enjoyed Clockwork Angel more than the first three books of The Mortal Instruments. I thought that the misty and dark Victorian London was the perfect backdrop for the Shadowhunter world. This book was so atmospheric and felt like a breath of fresh air. I preferred it to the New York setting of The Mortal Instruments. Every character came to life in this book, it was riveting from cover to cover.

Tessa was such an interesting protagonist, I am glad she is not a Shadowhunter or a plain human, but unlike any other known downworlder. It's so magical and mysterious, I am dying to know more about her. Will was so unlikable. I really did not warm to him at all, and his 'bad boy' vibe really turned me off. He was like a really nasty version of Jace. Team Jem all the way. I am not sure what to make of Jessamine but I don't like her either at this point in the series. What an empty headed ninny.

It was great to see the foreshadowing of certain links to The Mortal Instruments, namely Magnus Bane and Church. My heart swelled at the tantalising glimpses of them near the end of the book. I loved the steampunk element to this book and there were plenty of inventions, automatons and clockwork doo-dads to add intrigue. It was so creepy but so interesting, it really added to the dark atmosphere of the book. The plot twists in this book I really did not see coming, and I really cannot wait to see how The Infernal Devices unfold.


No comments:

Post a Comment