Friday, 8 April 2016

Review: Blackdeath 23 by Robert Mills

Title: Blackdeath 23: My Journal as an Army Helicopter Pilot in Iraq
Author: Robert Mills
Publisher: Wise Publications
Pages: 208
Genres: Non-Fiction, Memoir
Source: Free copy provided by the author.

Blackdeath 23

Blackdeath 23 is Robert's journal from the time he joined the Army on 9/11/2001, the day we suffered devastating attacks to our country, through two deployments to the war zone in Iraq.

Re-live the day to day experiences with Robert, just as he lived them. Robert's daily journal will give you a realistic experience from his cockpit. His writings cover the entire spectrum, from the joys of simply receiving mail from home, living in harsh conditions, experiencing frequent enemy attacks, aircraft emergencies and losing a fellow pilot, to making the ultimate decision of pulling the trigger to end one life in order to save another. Robert states, "I never intended to write a book. It took over three years to complete. Some of it was extremely difficult to get through."
I have had this book on my TBR pile for a year and I finally decided it was time to pick it up and read it. Blackdeath 23 is the collected journals of the author's experience in the military, serving as an army helicopter pilot primarily in Iraq during the years 2001-2009. Through the journal format, the reader is given an intimate portrait of daily life being deployed in a war zone. I honestly feel like there needs to be more books like this one. I know nothing really about the war in Iraq or what it was like for those soldiers that bravely served, so I really appreciated the inside look.

The book is filled with photographs that help to visualise what it was actually like in the army and it was absolutely riveting from start to finish. I was really touched at the role that faith had in the author's experience and this book gave me a great perspective of the American viewpoint of the war in Iraq at that time. There are even additional photographs and videos on the accompanying website, that added further perspective for the reader.

There were many military acronyms to keep track of and there is an index at the back that helps but I found that not every acronym was included. There were also quite a few typos and mistakes but ultimately none of that hampered my enjoyment of the book overall. I think this book would be great for readers who are involved with the military but it's equally enjoyable for readers that aren't familiar with the military at all.



Disclaimer
I received this book through Goodreads giveaways - I was not required to give a review, all opinions stated are entirely my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment