Saturday, 16 April 2016

Review: Saga, Volume 2 by Brian K. Vaughan (Saga(Collected Editions) #2)

Title: Saga, Volume 2
Series: Saga (Collected Editions) #2
Written By: Brian K. Vaughan
Art by: Fiona Staples
Publisher: Image
Pages: 168
Genres: Comics, Science-fiction

Fables Vol. 3: Storybook Love

Thanks to her star-crossed parents Marko and Alana, newborn baby Hazel has already survived lethal assassins, rampaging armies, and alien monstrosities, but in the cold vastness of outer space, the little girl encounters her family's greatest challenge yet: the grandparents. Collects SAGA #7-12.
So much happens in this story arc! Marko's parents make an appearance and a little of Marko and Alana's backstory is explored. I especially loved seeing how they met and fell in love, it really touched my heart. There is (of course) plenty of explicit weird things in there... giant pustule-riddled ball sack anyone? Also what is up with Prince Robot IV? What was on his screen in a flashback was... Illuminating. I have to say I am not a huge fan of the weird robot people, who appear to be human with robot heads. Um, OK? Too wacky for me I'm afraid.

This volume was more enjoyable for me than the first. I have never read anything like Saga before so the first volume was a lot to get my head round. However, Volume 2 really cemented my love for all of the characters but Alana is still my favourite so far. I am really curious about Hazel as the narrator of the story, what happened and why is she telling her parents' story? This is the volume that has me fully invested with needing to know how the story develops. I just need to know. Like now.

I honestly love everything about Saga, especially Fiona Staples' art. I love how it is really visually impactful without relying on tons of detail. I would highly recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment