Sunday, 22 May 2016

Review: Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

Title: Anya's Ghost
Author: Vera Brosgol
Publisher: First Second
Pages: 224
Genres: Graphic Novel

Anya's Ghost
Of all the things Anya expected to find at the bottom of an old well, a new friend was not one of them. Especially not a new friend who’s been dead for a century.

Falling down a well is bad enough, but Anya's normal life might actually be worse. She's embarrassed by her family, self-conscious about her body, and she's pretty much given up on fitting in at school. A new friend--even a ghost--is just what she needs.

But Anya's new B.F.F. isn't kidding about the "forever" part...
The story was definitely darker than I expected and I loved the art style as the illustrations were black and white which suited the tone of the book perfectly. Anya's struggles are fairly typical of a teenager and there is nothing particularly heartwarming or special about it. Anya is superficial, at times lazy, is embarrassed by her Russian heritage and thinks she is too fat - I wouldn't say she is really all that interesting.

Anya's ghost Emily was the most intriguing character for me; the mystery surrounding her life and death kept me turning pages. Emily's personality just lifted the whole book and the ending was only good because of her.

Overall I liked Anya's Ghost, the story was quick even if I didn't feel particularly moved by the plot; high school is a depressing time for many and this book does a great job of illustrating that. I think I would pick up more of Vera Brosgol's graphic novels in future as I loved her art style.


No comments:

Post a Comment