Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Review: Clockwork Prince by Cassandra Clare

Title: Clockwork Prince
Series: The Infernal Devices #2
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Walker Books
Pages: 512
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy

Clockwork Prince

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will - the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do? As their dangerous search for the for the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa's heart is increasingly torn, especially when one of their own betrays them...
Oh my goodness... Clockwork Prince is a huge step up from Clockwork Angel. The drama! There are so many revelations about each of the characters, I experienced every emotion possible whilst reading this book. I thought the love triangle would annoy me but it is so well done in this series, I'm shocked and I have never felt so conflicted in my life. I was firmly team Jem after reading the first book but now I am not so sure.

I love Tessa's character, she is so relatable and she suffers a great deal of betrayal and pain in this book. It is so heartbreaking. The question of what exactly Tessa is is just as mysterious as it ever was and I am dying to know who her parents are and why she can shape shift into other people. Will's behaviour and backstory is explained - finally. There is also a lot more to Jessamine than meets the eye. Magnus Bane even takes centre stage at points which I absolutely love; I know I am not alone in saying that there can never be enough of Magnus Bane.

The atmosphere of the book is again misty, mysterious and dark. I just cannot get enough of the Shadowhunter world set in Victorian London. It's just THE perfect setting, I could wax lyrical about it forever. I feel really sick about reading the final book, Clockwork Princess I just have a feeling that it's going to break my heart in some way. The Mortmain mystery is still not really resolved and I just know a huge showdown is on the horizon. I don't know if I am ready. The automatons just freak me out, they are just so weird.

I absolutely adore The Infernal Devices so far and I wish it wasn't just a trilogy - *super sad face*. Every lover of YA fantasy should read this series, it is just that good.


No comments:

Post a Comment