Wednesday, 4 May 2016

Wrap up Wednesday - April 2016








19 books this month, there was a lot of 5 star reads and all in all a great month. A little breakdown by star rating is as follows:




The story of a group of teens trying too hard to be 'edgy'. The story is just full of every issue that teens may experience ever for shock value such as rape, domestic violence, child abuse etc. I just felt like the book tried too hard and I wasn't that impressed with it.





★ - The Bees by Laline Paull

The weirdest book I think I have read to date. As the title suggests it is the fictionalised account of the experience of a worker bee. A literal bee. It was just so strange and not very compelling. The repetitive boring lives of insects does not make a compelling story in my opinion. Didn't like it and wouldn't recommend it really.




★ - Cunt: A Declaration of Independence by Inga Muscio

I had high hopes for this book. There was a lot of promise for an inspiring feminist read exploring one of the most insulting words in the English language. That is not what you get. This book reads more like a strange rant full of strange ideas like not using contraception or female sanitary products. The feminist ideas felt radical and dated - just did not do anything for me.



★ - The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

I read this after watching the film directed by Baz Luhrmann and I think that hampered my enjoyment of this book. I just don't really like Fitzgerald's writing style. I felt that some elements of the story were just too subtle for me to grasp and required a lot of reading between the lines. 




Focusing on Stephen Avery's earlier 1985 conviction and exoneration of the sexual assault of Penny Beernsten, it does have more background information compared to what was shown in the Netflix documentary series, Making a Murderer. The Teresa Halbach case is woefully short, under done and lacking in many interesting details. This book is a good companion read for those interested in Stephen Avery and his earlier conviction but does not offer any new light on the Teresa Halbach murder case.

The most disappointing volume to date. I still liked the story but this is my least favourite so far. Marko, Alana and family spend a lot of the book at a lighthouse and the story became a bit slow. I'm still not a fan of the robot people.




Cline's love letter to the eighties, the setting is dying futuristic earth where everybody lives their lives online in a virtual reality called the Oasis. The creator of Oasis has just recently died and has promised his fortune to the player that is first to find an egg that he has hidden somewhere inside the game. I did like the story but I felt I hated all the eighties references which made it dull in my opinion. 



An examination of the effects of sexual assault on a teenager. Eden is raped by her brother's best friend and she keeps it a secret. The book focuses on Eden as she goes through high school and how the assault changes her and her relationships to everyone around her. A very emotional read about a tough subject matter.





The first book in the Cormoran Strike series, I was really impressed with this mystery. It is about striggling private detective, Cormoran Strike who is investigating the suicide of starlet, Lula Landry on behalf of her brother. A very intriguing mystery set in London and I adored it. Kept me guessing to the last page. Brilliant.


The memoir of an army helicopter pilot in Iraq, Robert's story is told through his meticulously kept journals when he was serving in the U.S. military. It is a fascinating insight into what it was like being deployed in Iraq and I really enjoyed it. 


Set in Malaysia, this is a multi-generational, multi-viewpoint story. It is about Lakshmi, her arranged marriage and how her family legacy is subsequently affected. The story beginning in the 1930s and ending in the early 2000s. Chock full of beautiful descriptions and magical realism, this book was an absolute delight to read.




 - Rogue by Rachel Vincent

The second book in the Shifter series. A new mystery, new drama and lots of action. Faythe's character is less annoying in this book but she is still immature at times. I didn't find the plot predictable and it was an easy, enjoyable read.






 - Persepolis 2: The Story of a Return

Marjane Satrapi's memoir illustrating her experience living in Austria for four years and then her return to her home country, Iran. It was not quite as good as the first book Persepolis: The Story of a Childhood but it was still a great read.





★ - Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Andersen

A hilarious graphic novel detailing the 'hardships' of modern adulthood. I related to almost every page. It is very lighthearted and fun and would be a great coffee table book. Essential reading for book lovers.






★ - We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

A short and sweet essay detailing why feminism is important and still needed today. I have never read anything that sums up the importance of feminism so concisely. Everybody should read this book!

My favourite volume of Saga so far. I have never read anything like Saga before so the first volume was a lot to get my head round. However, Volume 2 really cemented my love for all of the characters and was just highly entertaining. I would recommend this highly unique series to newbies and comic veterans alike.

A beautifully written historical fiction set in 19th century America. The story follows the Goodenough family as they stake a claim on some land in a swamp. The family is dysfunctional and there is a lot of shocking twists and turns. Apples and trees are the pervasive theme in this book. This is my first Tracey Chevalier novel and it has made me want to read more of her other books. 

Marjane Satrapi's memoir of growing up in Iran through the Islamic Revolution. This book truly opened up my eyes to a part of world history that I knew nothing about. Marjane tells her story with a lot of humour and had me laughing out loud at certain points. There is a good balance of humour and sadness, I feel like this book has made me a more empathic human being. Highly recommend.

I cried with laughter whilst reading this book, it has become one of my absolute favourites. It is a graphic novel chronicling the stories of private sex lives, relationships and marriages of the women of an Iranian family. Pure comedic gold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment