Friday, 17 June 2016

Review: City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Lost Souls
Series: The Mortal Instruments #5
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Walker Books
Pages: 544
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy

City of Lost Souls

What price is too high to pay, even for love? Jace is now a servant of evil, bound for all eternity to Sebastian. Only a small band of Shadowhunters believe he can be saved. To do this, they must defy the Clave. And they must act without Clary. For Clary is playing a dangerous game utterly alone. The price of losing is not just her own life, but Jace’s soul. Clary is willing to do anything for Jace, but can she still trust him? Or is he truly lost?

So Jace is not himself, Sebastian is crazy, there is trouble in paradise between Alec and Magnus, and the plot moves ever slowly forward. This is probably the slowest book yet in the series in my opinion. Most of the characters spend the majority of their time just standing around discussing things. There is a handful of big events but on the whole I was disappointed with the pace of this book.

Again, a bunch of references to The Infernal Devices which made my little fangirl heart swoon. I have not read Clockwork Princess as of yet but I feel like there were some hints in this book that reference it and it has made me super nervous for the conclusion of that trilogy. Help.

The last one hundred pages were nail-bitingly epic as always. The romance between Clary and Jace is taken up a notch and I really wish they would just do the 'no pants dance' just to remedy the insane sexual tension between the two of them; but of course this is YA so they never quite get there. Gotta love YA. Sebastian is one sick puppy, enough said.

I am glad I am reaching the end of this series, it is kind of a bittersweet feeling. I am expecting City of Heavenly Fire  to be action packed and not as slow as this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment