Wednesday, 1 June 2016

Review: The Wrath and the Dawn by Renée Ahdieh

Title: The Wrath and the Dawn
Series: The Wrath and the Dawn #1
Author:  Renée Ahdieh
Publisher: Speak
Pages: 432
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult

The Wrath and the Dawn
Every dawn brings horror to a different family in a land ruled by a killer. Khalid, the eighteen-year-old Caliph of Khorasan, takes a new bride each night only to have her executed at sunrise. So it is a suspicious surprise when sixteen-year-old Shahrzad volunteers to marry Khalid. But she does so with a clever plan to stay alive and exact revenge on the Caliph for the murder of her best friend and countless other girls. Shazi’s wit and will, indeed, get her through to the dawn that no others have seen, but with a catch . . . she’s falling in love with the very boy who killed her dearest friend.

She discovers that the murderous boy-king is not all that he seems and neither are the deaths of so many girls. Shazi is determined to uncover the reason for the murders and to break the cycle once and for all.
Another over-hyped disappointment for me I'm afraid. It reminded me of The Forbidden Wish in terms of the writing style and I didn't like that book either. From what I understand The Wrath and the Dawn is supposed to be a retelling of A Thousand and One Nights (which I haven't read) and the cover is just drop dead gorgeous. However, overall I had some issues with the plot and the characters.

Shahrzad is supposed to be avenging the death of her close friend Shiva by volunteering as the next wife of the murderous boy-king, Khalid; but she does absolutely nothing apart from shoot an arrow at a target one time on the training grounds. I was expecting Shahrzad to be some sort of badass female assassin type character but no such luck, after surviving one night (maybe two) she just knows in her stomach that she will never be able to kill Khalid. Khalid is just the generic strong, silent type who just smoulders. Which leads me to the next point...

The other problem I had with his story was just the tropes - it was so annoying. Instalove, check. Love triangle, check. Special and sparkly eye colours, check. Yawn. The plot itself moved at a glacial speed with many pages being devoted to profuse description of what everybody was wearing and eating.

In short this book was just mediocre, it wasn't completely unreadable for me but I expected more and I don't think I shall read the sequel.


No comments:

Post a Comment