Friday, 29 July 2016

Review: City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare

Title: City of Heavenly Fire
Series: The Mortal Instruments #6
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publisher: Walker Books
Pages: 640
Genres: Young Adult, Paranormal, Fantasy

City of Heavenly Fire

Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.

The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?

When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...
Thank goodness, I have finally finished The Mortal Instruments. It was a long, long slog. City of Heavenly Fire was only marginally better than City of Lost Souls but overall it really disappointed me.

The pacing was very slow in this book, it is the largest book in the series and I found it a real struggle to get through. I really liked the new characters of Emma Carstairs and the Blackthorns, I found them a breath of fresh air that the series sorely needed. Too bad they weren't introduced earlier in the series. Clary in particular was particularly dull in this book. Simon was one of the strongest characters and was developed further. As for the rest of the main characters... meh.

There was also too much relationship angst in this book. Sebastian is killing people or turning them into monsters and his goal is to destroy the Shadowhunter world as we know it; but life is not worth living if you don't 'define the relationship'. Of course. Don't get me started on the POV's I didn't give a fig about. Maia, The Prator Lupus, Jia Penhallow, Maureen... YAWN. This book felt unnecessarily long and dragged out.

I was expecting something spectacular to happen during this book like Clockwork Princess, I mean it was the finale after all. I feel like nobody truly suffered. I like anguish and heartbreak and there just wasn't enough of it. I was bored at times and it was hard to force myself to keep picking it up. Ugh. Not my kind of ending at all. The Infernal Devices is the superior series for me. I absolutely LOVED the references to The Infernal Devices and I desperately wanted more of a focus on that. Clockwork Princess definitely needs to be read beforehand to get the maximum enjoyment out of it.

I am so glad that The Mortal Instruments has now ended because I feel like there is nothing more those characters could possibly give. Roll on Lady Midnight.


No comments:

Post a Comment