Sunday, 28 August 2016

Review: Dark Lover by J. R. Ward

Title: Dark Lover
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #1
Author: J. R. Ward
Publisher: Piatkus
Pages: 480
Genres: Paranormal Romance

Dark Lover

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war going on between vampires and their slayers. There also exists a secret band of brothers like no other - six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Among them, none relishes killing their enemies more than Wrath, the leader of the Black Dagger Brotherhood...

The only pure-bred vampire left on the planet, Wrath has a score to settle with the slayers who murdered his parents centuries ago. But when one of his most trusted fighters is killed - orphaning a half-breed daughter unaware of her heritage or her fate - Wrath must usher the beautiful female into the world of the undead...

Racked by a restlessness in her body that wasn't there before, Beth Randall is helpless against the dangerously sexy man who comes to her at night with shadows in his eyes. His tales of brotherhood and blood frighten her. But his touch ignites a dawning hunger that threatens to consume them both...
I read Dark Lover for the first time around 8 or 9 years ago and I just loved it. It has been long overdue a re-read. I was full of nostalgia reading about the Black Dagger Brotherhood again, but it was definitely a different reading experience second time around.

How did I not notice how cringeworthy it was? This book is full of instalove, cliché tough guys dressed in leather, the tough guy talk was just so bad - "you feel me, my brother?" and the names of the characters were still bizarre. Despite all of that I still adored it although it's no longer quite worth the five stars I gave it originally. The romance is intriguing and I'm just going to say it, I really liked the steamy sex scenes. They are very over the top, dramatic and sometimes referred to as matings. MATINGS. There are a lot of points where this book is unintentionally hilarious. I just really loved it.

My favourite aspect of this series is the world that J. R Ward has created. Vampires need to feed on each other, they can breed, have lifespans that can last thousands of years, but they can't infect humans and turn them. It's just so interesting to me. Even the lessers as soulless, heartless vampire slayers are interesting villains. I really want to find out more about the world and continue on with the series to see all the brothers get their one true pairings again. As I recall the series gets better as it goes on and I only ever read up to Lover Enshrined so it will be interesting to see where the story goes from there.

I would recommend this book to readers who really like paranormal romance, once you get used to the cringey bits it really is entertaining and worth it!


No comments:

Post a Comment