Saturday, 6 August 2016

Review: Illuminae by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff

Title: Illuminae
Series: The Illuminae Files #1
Author: Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff
Publisher: Rock the Boat
Pages: 608
Genres: Young Adult, Science-Fiction

Illuminae

The year is 2575 and two mega-corporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice covered speck. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them Ezra and Kady have to make their escape on the evacuating fleet. But their troubles are just beginning. A deadly plague has broken out on one of the space ships and it is mutating with terrifying results. Their ships protection is seriously flawed. No one will say what is going on.

As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth its clear only one person can help her. Ezra. And the only problem with that is they split up before all this trouble started and she isn’t supposed to be talking to him.

Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents, Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about the price of truth and the courage of everyday heroes.
Whoa, Illuminae exceeded all my expectations. I LOVED this book, one of my new favourites. I don't normally read science fiction as it doesn't usually pique my interest and for some reason I have a weird aversion to the genre. I am so glad I took a chance on Illuminae. It was awesome.

Using mixed media, the story is told through classified files, chat room and interview transcripts, surveillance reports, journal entries, full page artwork etc. The pages just fly by and I became more desperate to find out how everything ends. It felt like a huge classified report had been handed to me and I had to read through all the documents in order to piece together what happened to the refugee fleet as it encountered problems during its evacuation of the planet Kerenza. There is horror, humour, thrills, mystery and a little bit of romance on the side. Illuminae was the perfect blend of everything I just love in a book. I could not stop reading.

I really loved the main characters, Kady and Ezra. Kady is a pink-haired hacker determined to get through the layers of secrecy of higher command, whilst Ezra does his best to assist her whilst also throwing all his morale into making a difference as a new conscript aboard the battlecarrier, the Alexander. I felt unbelievably attached to them by the end.

There is a lot of technical jargon in places plus a lot of secondary characters that are referred to by their military rank so it is not a book to be rushed. The audiobook is quite the production with 20 different narrators as well as a special sound track to further enhance the experience, so of course I immediately just want to listen to it now and I am kind of kicking myself that I didn't listen to it whilst reading along. Damn.

I am majorly psyched for Gemina and I would highly recommend taking a chance on Illuminae like I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment