Tuesday, 30 August 2016

Review: Lover Eternal by J. R. Ward

Title: Lover Eternal
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #2
Author: J. R. Ward
Publisher: Piatkus
Pages: 480
Genres: Paranormal Romance

Lover Eternal

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly war raging between vampires and their slayers. And there exists a secret band of brothers like no other - six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Possessed by a deadly beast, Rhage is the most dangerous of the Black Dagger Brotherhood...

Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He's the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover - for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Possessed by this dark side, Rhage fears the times when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him. Mary Luce, a survivor of many hardships, is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant on Rhage's protection. With a life-threatening curse of her own, Mary is not looking for love. Her faith in miracles was lost years ago. But when Rhage's intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves.
I hate to say this but I really did not ship Rhage and Mary. Just no. I don't understand what happened. Following the same formula as Dark Lover, the focus of this book is on another brother in the brotherhood, Rhage. Rhage is eye-hurt beautiful and he is a bit of a man whore. He also has a curse that results in him turning into a dragon like creature when hurt or angry. For some unknown reason he becomes obsessed when he claps eyes on Mary, who is a human plain jane who has leukaemia. Am I the only reader who thinks that vampires are wasting their time with humans? Vampires are slowly going extinct so I really don't think that a vampire warrior needs to be wasted on a human and a barren human at that. But anyway, I am well aware that suspension of logic and belief is a must when reading this series, and I'm usually fine with that but I just hated the pairing in this one.

I didn't like the transformation of Rhage into a soppy, lovesick fool and I cringed when I read the romance between him and Mary. That aside, I really enjoyed learning more about the vampire world. John Matthew is really intriguing to me and I enjoyed his POVs. I am really excited to read about Zsadist and Bella's budding relationship as the interactions between them were one of the best bits about this whole book. I even liked the lesser POVs more than I liked reading about Rhage and Mary.

That ending though.... I am not a fan. I don't understand why the Scribe Virgin did that. What's the point? I would have much preferred it to have gone the opposite way. I know the point of these books is primarily that the characters all get their one true pairings but seriously, can vampires only have the one mate and never fall in love again? One thing is for sure though, reading this series is incredibly addictive. I just can't stop. I definitely feel different about this book than I did first time around but I am holding out hope for the series to pick up with the next instalment Lover Awakened.


No comments:

Post a Comment