Wednesday, 3 August 2016

Review: Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass and Sorcery by Kurtis J. Wiebe

Title: Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass and Sorcery
Series: Rat Queens (Collected Editions) #1
Written By: Kurtis J. Wiebe
Art by:  Roc Upchurch
Publisher: Image
Pages: 128
Genres: Comics, Fantasy

Rat Queens, Vol. 1: Sass and Sorcery

Who are the Rat Queens? A pack of booze-guzzling, death-dealing battle maidens-for-hire, and they’re in the business of killing all god’s creatures for profit. It’s also a darkly comedic sass-and-sorcery series starring Hannah the Rockabilly Elven Mage, Violet the Hipster Dwarven Fighter, Dee the Atheist Human Cleric and Betty the Hippy Smidgen Thief. This modern spin on an old school genre is a violent monster-killing epic that is like Buffy meets Tank Girl in a Lord of the Rings world on crack!
Unfortunately this was not my cup of tea. From what I could gather, the story follows a group comprised of four women, the Rat Queens, who are mercenaries that get drunk and disorderly so the locals in Palisade are sick of them causing damage. The Rat Queens get given a bogus quest which was really an assassination attempt and the story goes on from there. The plot was lacklustre for me and I really did not find the humour and one liners funny at all. The characters showed a lot of promise but mostly it was about killing things, drugs, partying and wanting to get laid. I found it hard to follow at times.

I felt like I was assaulted with the message that these characters were feminist and awesome because their of laddish behaviour that emulates masculinity. It almost tries too hard and honestly nothing about the way these characters acted or were drawn felt very feminist to me. All of them have sexy boob enhancing armour and Betty is an tiny adult smidgen species that was a bizarre blend of sexual but childlike. Many characters liked to infantise her and it was just plain strange.

I really loved the art style and I liked the Rat Queens, my favourite character was Hannah as I thought her use of magic was awesome. I liked the goriness but wasn't really a fan of the almost instant healing. I liked the diverse characters but desperately wanted a bit more world building so I felt compelled to read the next instalment.


No comments:

Post a Comment