Monday, 22 August 2016

Review: The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith

Title: The Silkworm
Series: Cormoran Strike #2
Author: Robert Galbraith
Publisher: Sphere
Pages: 580
Genres: Mystery, General

The Silkworm

When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first, she just thinks he has gone off by himself for a few days - as he has done before - and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home.

But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance than his wife realises. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were published it would ruin lives - so there are a lot of people who might want to silence him.

And when Quine is found brutally murdered in bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a ruthless killer, a killer unlike any he has encountered before . . .
Cormoran and his assistant Robin are back trying to solve the mystery of the disappearance of writer Owen Quine. Cormoran's character is still really interesting to me and I love his gruff and gritty ways. He isn't perfect, he is perhaps slightly misogynistic at times but I just love him. Robin's backstory and personality needs a lot more development as she just doesn't leap off the page for me. I am so sick of Robin's fiancé drama, Matthew is highly annoying and he seemed to have quite a large irritating presence in this book. I also kind of secretly ship Strike and Robin, I really do so Matthew needs to get the boot asap.

Unfortunately I did not like The Silkworm as much as The Cuckoo's Calling as I found the politics of the world of writers, agents, novels and publishers just insufferably dull. I just didn't really care about it and after about halfway through, the constant re-interviews of really boring characters grated on me. There is a lot of repetition of pubs, Strike's painful leg, football matches. I felt like there was a lot of unnecessary filler to the narrative. However, I really enjoyed the reveal as I genuinely could not have guessed but afterwards I was kind of kicking myself that I missed pivotal clues early on. One thing I can definitely say is that the whodunit mystery is very well crafted, it's just my personal taste that I just wasn't that interested by the politics of the publishing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment