Saturday, 3 September 2016

Review: Lover Awakened by J. R. Ward

Title: Lover Awakened
Series: Black Dagger Brotherhood #3
Author: J. R. Ward
Publisher: Piatkus
Pages: 544
Genres: Paranormal Romance

Lover Awakened

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly war raging between vampires and their slayers. And there exists a secret band of brothers like no other - six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Of these, Zsadist is the most terrifying member of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

A former blood slave, the vampire Zsadist still bears the scars from a past filled with suffering and humiliation. Renowned for his unquenchable fury and sinister deeds, he is a savage feared by humans and vampires alike. Anger is his only companion, and terror is his only passion - until he rescues a beautiful aristocrat from the evil Lessening Society.

Bella is instantly entranced by the seething power Zsadist possesses. But even as their desire for one another begins to overtake them both, Zsadist's thirst for vengeance against Bella's tormentors drives him to the brink of madness. Now, Bella must help her lover overcome the wounds of his tortured past, and find a future with her.
I adore Zsadist, he has the most interesting backstory and I love the whole aggressive, tortured soul thing he has going on. Lover Awakened is my favourite book so far in the series. The way Bella and Zsadist's relationship evolves is quite different to Wrath and Rhage's romances in the previous two books. It was a sorely needed breath of fresh air and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I am not sure if I have stopped noticing the cringeworthy scenes or if there just was a lot less of them in this book. Probably the former.

There are many different POVs in this book and that is something I really loved as it breaks up the intensity of the romance and sexy times. I am fascinated with John Matthew and I can't wait to see how he changes once he goes through his transition. I even enjoyed the creepy lesser perspectives and learning more about what their ultimate plan is. Zsadist's story is full of anguish but there is a lot of hope and joy in this book to balance it out. Zsadist is my favourite brother as of this point in the series. I am happy to see him with a proper female vampire and not some unremarkable and random human... *cough* Rhage *cough*.

I cannot help but love the vampire world that J. R. ward has created, the description of needing that the females go through was just the most over the top scenes I had ever read. It has to be read to be believed. I mean OF COURSE female vampires do not grow pubic hair like stupid humans and OF COURSE the only thing that soothes a female's needing is a male's ejaculate which is described as a cool balm. A cool balm. It's just brilliant but mad.

I can definitely see why the Black Dagger Brotherhood polarises readers. It's over the top, super cheesy at times and the cringe is very real. I just love it though and it brings back a lot of nostalgic feelings. I would love to see this series made into an anime or something similar as I just think it would be brilliant and would really suit the outlandish romances.


No comments:

Post a Comment