Wednesday, 5 October 2016

Review: The Beauty, Vol. 1 by Jeremy Haun & Jason A. Hurley

Title: The Beauty, Vol. 1
Series: The Beauty (Collected Editions) #1
Written By: Jeremy Haun & Jason A. Hurley
Art by: Jeremy Haun
Publisher: Image
Pages: 164
Genres: Comics, Thriller, Police-procedural

Imagine a sexually transmitted disease that makes those infected better looking... a disease people want. That disease is real, and it’s called the Beauty. Two years after the Beauty burst onto the scene, over half of America is infected. Now, it looks like the downside may be far worse than anyone suspected. Detectives Vaughn and Foster find themselves on the front line of the battle against the Beauty, embroiled in a conspiracy they never knew existed. Collects THE BEAUTY #1-6.

I was really intrigued by the story in The Beauty. Half the world's population are afflicted with an STD which transforms the sufferer so that they look drop dead gorgeous, a beauty. Body fat melts off and hair regrows, with no apparent negative effects. I really don't blame people for wanting the disease as it sounds awesome but of course the caveat is beauties' brains are randomly spontaneously combusting. The plot follows two detectives who are trying to find out why beauties are randomly combusting and whether there is a cure.


Unfortunately I really didn't like the art style, the covers are beautiful but the inside is ironically lacklustre with a mediocre plot. I couldn't distinguish that easily between beauties and normal characters, I was expecting the beauties to be drawn as over the top stunningly beautiful but they just weren't. Each character's personality is very basic and bland, I didn't really care about any of them. There are lots of shoot-outs, an irate chief of police, government conspiracies, terrorist groups, a very nasty bad guy reminiscent of The Joker. It was all pretty predictable, generic and just... meh. I was actually really disappointed by it as I was expecting to be dazzled.

I was expecting the story to be more of a horror but it is in fact almost a police-procedural thriller which is great when it is done well. I won't be continuing on with this comic series and I can't say that I would recommend it.


No comments:

Post a Comment