Sunday, 2 October 2016

September 2016 - Reading Wrap-up: Part 2
















I managed to read six books in the latter half of September, one of which was a five star read. Part one of my September wrap up can be found here.

I am pleased that I managed to more or less continue with my reading pace throughout the month and I am really looking forward to October where I am planning to read mainly horror books.

Now on to the books:

★ - Mariana by Monica Dickens

I strongly disliked this book. It is the dull tale of Mary childhood and coming of age told in flashback as the present adult Mary waits for news of her husband during World War 2. The plot is extremely character driven which I normally like but Mary has quite a privileged life and doesn't really go through any hardship whatsoever. I just found it incredibly boring. I can't believed I read it in its entirety. Not for me.





★ - Underwater by Marisa Reichardt

Another slow paced read focusing on Morgan who is struggling with agoraphobia and anxiety due to a traumatic event that she went through. There is a romance that felt unrealistic to me and generally I was a little disappointed in the story. It was quite slow in paces and I didn't really enjoy being stuck in Morgan's first person perspective. Another book that wasn't really for me.







★★★ - Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs

I had been meaning to get to this book for ages. It tells the story of Jacob as he goes back to the welsh island to find the mysterious orphanage where his grandfather lived briefly at during World War 2. Creepy vintage photographs are woven into the story which was a really unique concept and really added to the atmosphere of the book. The reason why I haven't rated it higher is because if it weren't for the photographs I don't think I would have enjoyed the story as much. 





 - So You've Been Publicly Shamed by Jon Ronson

By second Jon Ronson book, it was just as entertaining and fascinating as The Psychopath Test. The subject of this book being online public shaming when a person posts something inadvisable on social media and how the punishment victims face usually far outweigh the original transgression. I really enjoy Jon Ronson's writing and it was a insightful look at why online public shaming is so popular and how it can ruin people's lives whilst censuring and policing free speech. A great cautionary tale. Highly recommend.


Ellie is a con artist and has just come back to her childhood hometown to begin again and 'go legit'. She runs into her childhood best friend who is now a talented tattoo artist. Sparks fly and shenanigans ensue. This was highly enjoyable, I love the desert backdrop to suspenseful romances and I could not stop thinking about it. Lots of plot twists and a cliffhanger ending. The only downsides were the robotic sex scenes, nevertheless the romance was edgy and interesting.





 - It Ends With Us by Colleen Hoover

One of my favourites of the year so far, Colleen Hoover never disappoints. The major issue that is explored was really hard hitting and felt so incredibly real to me. The story follows Lily who has just moved to Boston and she ends up meeting a handsome stranger on a random rooftop one night. That is all I am going to write about the plot because in my opinion when it comes to Colleen Hoover's books, the reading experience is better when gone into completely blind. Just trust me, it has all the feels. Cannot recommend enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment