Saturday, 26 November 2016

Review: Blankets by Craig Thompson

Title: Blankets
Author: Craig Thompson
Publisher: Top Shelf Productions
Pages: 592
Genres: Graphic Novel, Memoir
Wrapped in the landscape of a blustery Wisconsin winter, Blankets explores the sibling rivalry of two brothers growing up in the isolated country, and the budding romance of two coming-of-age lovers. A tale of security and discovery, of playfulness and tragedy, of a fall from grace and the origins of faith.




I initially went into this book blind, I had not a clue what it was about and I must say it was surprisingly intimate. Blankets is the author's memoir and it chronicles his experience growing up in rural Wisconsin.

I really loved the black and white art style as I felt it portrayed the loneliness of the stark winter landscape of rural Wisconsin perfectly. Craig Thompson's portrayal of his traditional Christian upbringing was so fascinating to me, as it was an inside look at a family life that I had never encountered before. I also think that the way that the evolving relationship between Craig and his little brother was portrayed was so honest, sweet, and really funny at times.

Blankets  also explores some dark places as the author reveals his experience of bullying at school, not fitting in, his crisis of faith, and experiencing childhood abuse. Despite the melancholic tone at points, the story explores some of the best experiences of Craig's adolescence such as his long-distance relationship with first love, Raina. Their budding romance was one of the best parts of the book as it felt so universally relatable.

The conclusion of Blankets was open ended which was perfect though I can see why others would feel unsatisfied with it. Ultimately, I really enjoyed this book. It was laugh out loud funny at times and basically a brilliant peak into somebody else's life story, which is perfect for readers like me who are a bit nosy and love reading other people's memoirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment