Thursday, 3 November 2016

Review: Shadow and Bone by Leigh Bardugo

Title: Shadow and Bone
Series: The Grisha #1
Author: Leigh Bardugo
Publisher:  Orion Children's Books
Pages: 352
Genres: Fantasy, Young Adult
The Shadow Fold, a swathe of impenetrable darkness, crawling with monsters that feast on human flesh, is slowly destroying the once-great nation of Ravka.

Alina, a pale, lonely orphan, discovers a unique power that thrusts her into the lavish world of the kingdom's magical elite - the Grisha. Could she be the key to unravelling the dark fabric of the Shadow Fold and setting Ravka free?

The Darkling is a creature of seductive charm and terrifying power, leader of the Grisha. If Alina is to fulfil her destiny, she must discover how to unlock her gift and face up to her dangerous attraction to him.

But what of Mal, Alina's childhood best friend? As Alina contemplates her dazzling new future, why can't she ever quite forget him?
I first read this book three years ago and I loved it but then promptly forgot about it until now. I am so happy I re-read this book, it was even better than I remember.

I just adored the world of Grisha, I found it all fascinating, especially the magic system. I was completely sucked into this book and I became very emotionally attached to Alina's story. The fantasy is inspired by elements of Russian culture which I really enjoyed as it helped me picture the architecture and the clothing of the characters. I think the character that made this book for me was the Darkling... he is just something else. I just love him. His power of controlling darkness and the fact that he wears all black and is the most powerful of Grisha. I was getting strongly reminded of Cole from Charmed which was a show I was obsessed with back in the day. Who doesn't love a mysterious, dark bad boy?

In addition to the main character, Alina, there were a couple of secondary characters that I cared about because they were really interesting. I'm thinking specifically of Genya and Mal, I really care about them so if anything happens to my darlings... I will be devastated.

I was thinking of this book even when I wasn't reading it - the Shadow Fold is a brilliant invention. I think complete darkness is a fear of many and to have huge sections of land overtaken by a darkness filled with creepy creatures is just the stuff of nightmares. I really can't wait to finally carry on with this series and see where it takes me.

Shadow and Bone is one of my favourites and I would wholeheartedly recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment