Wednesday, 28 December 2016

Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green
Publisher:  HarperCollins
Pages: 272
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult

If people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane.

Miles Halter’s whole life has been one big non-event, until he meets Alaska Young.

Gorgeous, clever and undoubtedly screwed-up, Alaska draws Miles into her reckless world and irrevocably steals his heart. For Miles, nothing can ever be the same again.
WARNING: unpopular opinion.

So this is my second John Green book that I have read, the first being the underwhelming Paper Towns. I am sad to say that Looking for Alaska disappointed me.

I really didn't fully know what this book was going to be about before I started reading it as I didn't read the blurb. I thought maybe it could be a teen love story set in Alaska but its not. It's actually a story about main character, Miles's experience in a boarding school where he becomes infatuated with Alaska Young - a manic pixie dream girl. The story is about these teens smoking, drinking, and pulling pranks. Nothing particularly deep, and reading it involved a lot of eye rolling.

I have been a teen fairly recently (within the last ten years), I understand that there are teens that smoke and drink all the time because I was one of them; BUT goodness gracious it is incredibly tedious to read about. I was just so bored with these baby philosophical crises that these characters went through, it was just so over-dramatic. The main pivotal deep question being: How will I ever get out of this labyrinth? How indeed. Maybe I would have liked this better ten years ago when I went through an existential crisis common to all the teenagers on earth. I can't say.

There is a pivotal event that happens around halfway through and I just didn't care, call me heartless. I was relieved when the story finally ended. Miles as a character just irritated me as he was very reminiscent of Quentin from Paper Towns, as they both share the same obsession with a girl they know hardly at all. Maybe I just disliked this book because this kind of story is just done better in so many other places, the TV series Skins comes to mind.

Can see why it is a beloved book but it did nothing for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment