Friday, 20 January 2017

Review: Every Day by David Levithan

Title: Every Day
Author: David Levithan
Publisher: Electric Monkey
Pages: 384
Genres: Young Adult, Romance

Each morning, A wakes up in a different body. There’s never any warning about who it will be, but A is used to that. Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere.

And that’s fine – until A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin’s girlfriend, Rhiannon. From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone he wants to be with – every day . . .

The premise of Every Day is fascinating in theory. The story follows 'A', a person who has not been in the same body for more than twenty-four hours since birth. A starts every morning getting used to a different body and a different life. A can be a girl or a boy and as far as I can tell doesn't have a fixed gender identity and is pan-sexual. One morning, A wakes up in Justin's body and promptly falls into insta-love with Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon, and the majority of the book looks at what love is and if love can survive when a person's gender and appearance changes daily. Spoiler alert. It can't obviously.


I had high hopes for Every Day, I was expecting something a lot deeper then what it actually was. There is almost no backstory or explanation to A's peculiar existence and that just infuriated me because I was holding out for a big reveal that just never came. Suspension of disbelief is absolutely critical in reading this book as it just makes no sense otherwise. A only inhabits bodies who are of the same age but seem to live in a localised area in the U.S. which I don't understand. Surely it would be random and A would switch into bodies from all over the world, that would have been infinitely more interesting IMO.

Sadly the insta-love was just annoying and I never understood what was so special about Rhiannon. They had no shared interests that I could recall and I just didn't get it. There is a whole side story about one of the teenagers A has inhabited that has remembered what happened and is calling it possession but that story-line didn't really go anywhere. Ugh I just really was not impressed with this book and I can't say I would recommend it.

In summary, not my cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment