Saturday, 31 December 2016

Review: Kindred Spirits by Rainbow Rowell

Title: Kindred Spirits
Author: Rainbow Rowell
Publisher:  Macmillan Children's Books
Pages: 96
Genres: Contemporary, Young Adult

'Everybody likes everything these days. The whole world is a nerd.'
'Are you mad because other people like Star Wars? Are you mad because people like me like Star Wars?'
'Maybe.'

If you broke Elena's heart, Star Wars would spill out. So when she decides to queue outside her local cinema to see the new movie, she's expecting a celebration with crowds of people who love Han, Luke and Leia just as much as she does.

What she's not expecting is to be last in a line of only three people; to have to pee into a collectible Star Wars soda cup behind a dumpster or to meet that unlikely someone who just might truly understand the way she feels.
Rainbow Rowell has been really hit and miss for me, and unfortunately I wasn't too impressed by this tiny novella.

It's essentially about Elena, who is a big Star Wars fan so she decides to camp outside a cinema for three days in order to be first in the queue to watch the new film even though she already has a guaranteed seat as she bought her ticket in advance. There are already two people queuing when she arrives so the story is about her experience waiting to watch the new Star Wars film.

Right first thing's first. I am not a Star Wars fan. There I've said it. I have not watched the movies and I don't plan to either. I think Kindred Spirits was a bit wasted on me to be honest. There were lots of references and inside jokes that I didn't understand and I just was a teensy bit bored. I don't really understand what it is about being in a fandom that makes many people want to queue for things for days. I am a fan of many things but I have never felt the desire to wait for days and hours to see my favourite movie, celebrity, get tickets etc. So I didn't really get it!

Obviously because this story was so short, there wasn't much richness to the characters or the plot. It's very simple. The ending was just unbelievable, and I just found myself rolling my eyes. Oh well, it's a perfect book to read in a half hour and I think Star Wars and Rainbow Rowell fans would enjoy it much more than I did.


No comments:

Post a Comment