Wednesday, 15 March 2017

Review: A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #1
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Pages: 416
Genres: Fantasy, Romance

When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin—one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world.

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she’s been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow over the faerie lands is growing, and Feyre must find a way to stop it…or doom Tamlin—and his world—forever.
I had been reading a lot of three star reads and under recently and so I desperately needed to read something that excited me. I was well aware of how polarising A Court of Thorns and Roses was so I decided to take a chance in reading it. Thankfully, I bloody loved every second!

Wow, just wow. This was so entertaining. I'm kicking myself that it had been sitting on my shelf for so long, this was exactly what I needed. I think I was so hesitant to read this because I didn't exactly like Throne of Glass but I need not have worried. A Court of Thorns and Roses is better in every way, in my opinion.

Set in a world that is strictly separated into humans and faeries, humans do not go north of the magical wall separating their kingdoms. Faeries are terrifying and are rumoured to be seen in the forest bordering the wall. An impoverished girl, Feyre, is forced by winter and her starving family to seek game deep in the forest. Events unfold and Feyre is whisked away by a powerful faerie as punishment for killing one of their own in cold blood. The plot goes from there and was just brilliant, I honestly did not guess any part of it.

I really loved the main character Feyre, she reacted exactly as I would have done in her situation. I loved how sex was no big deal in this book - no virgin trope in sight, it's really refreshing. How could I not fall in love with Tamlin? *Sigh* Tamlin... I really rooted for their relationship but I felt he could have done more at the mountain (those of you who have read the book will know what I'm referring to here).

How could I not mention the world of the fae, it was just brilliant. The descriptions particularly shone brightly and I was transported to this beautiful yet dark faerie realm. I also loved the villain, there was nothing really that I didn't like about this book. Quite frankly. Could I live in this world, please?! I am emotionally invested in this story 100% and can't wait to immediately dive into A Court of Mist and Fury and I am going to be pre-ordering A Court of Wings and Ruin. It's not often that happens, let me tell you. One of my new favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment