Monday, 20 March 2017

Review: A Court of Mist and Fury by Sarah J. Maas

Title: A Court of Mist and Fury
Series: A Court of Thorns and Roses #2
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Publisher:  Bloomsbury
Pages: 640
Genres: Fantasy, Romance

Feyre survived Amarantha’s clutches to return to the Spring Court–but at a steep cost. Though she now has the powers of the High Fae, her heart remains human, and it can’t forget the terrible deeds she performed to save Tamlin’s people.

Nor has Feyre forgotten her bargain with Rhysand, High Lord of the feared Night Court. As Feyre navigates its dark web of politics, passion, and dazzling power, a greater evil looms–and she might be key to stopping it. But only if she can harness her harrowing gifts, heal her fractured soul, and decide how she wishes to shape her future–and the future of a world cleaved in two.
Oh my. This second book in the ACOTAR series was EPIC. I honestly can't believe the release date for the third book, A Court of Wings and Ruin is so close... yet it feels such a long way away. I NEED TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT DAMMIT. I have honestly never felt this impatient. How can I read anything else?

Anyway... I was well aware of literally EVERYBODY saying that this book was miles better and in a completely different league compared to the first. Well, I loved A Court of Thorns and Roses, but this book was every bit as fantastic as everyone said it was. The story starts with Feyre and Tamlin as they try and move on from the horrific events of the first book, but it's not all sunshine and roses. Both are suffering on some level with PTSD and there is also the threat of Rhysand's bargain that is looming over them. Tamlin is... different. It's not good. It was pretty sad to see the breakdown of communication between him and poor Feyre.

I really enjoyed seeing Feyre evolve as a character. She really did grow and ultimately change and I just loved her by the end of this book. I loved getting to see more of the world and the different courts particularly the Night Court. The politics were awesome, the lore - absolutely brilliant world building. I felt like I was there. It really made me realise that the first book was claustrophobic and so narrow in comparison, because of the teeny tiny portion of Prythian that Tamlin would allow Feyre to see and know about.

The plot twists! Oh my, I can't talk to much about them without giving major spoilers but... damn. I do think it's better to read this book first and then read/watch reviews as that way you will truly be shocked and surprised like I was. The ending wasn't really a cliffhanger per se, but it made me desperate to find out what happens next.

The secondary characters in particular shone in this book. I loved them all. Even Feyre's sisters. Each character felt distinct and all of their personalities just leaped off the page. I was thoroughly impressed with them all. The steamy scenes were again very well done, I really appreciate a good steamy scene from time to time. I can understand why a lot of people who hated the first book loved this one, as it really is almost a completely different story. Loved how the relationships were handled. There wasn't much I didn't love about this book.

This is shaping up to be one of my absolute FAVOURITE series.


No comments:

Post a Comment