Thursday, 25 May 2017

Review: The Elite by Kiera Cass

Title: The Elite
Series: The Selection #2
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher:  HarperCollins
Pages: 336
Genres: Science Fiction, YA, Dystopian

The Selection gets fierce as rivals stake their claim on the prince. Six girls, one life-changing prize…

America Singer will leave her pre-destined life for a world of glamour and luxury, if she wins.

But surviving The Selection is tough. Rivals are battling to become Prince Maxon’s bride as the threat of rebel violence just beyond the palace walls escalates into war.

Only six girls are left and sworn friendships are tested to breaking point. America’s feelings for Maxon grow stronger, but she suspects darker mysteries in his royal past. With ex-lover Aspen waiting for her in the shadows, where do her loyalties truly lie?
Well... that was better than I expected. Why do I have such low expectations of The Selection series? I don't know! I am finding these books addictive, they are fast and easy reads, AND the story/plot is pretty good!

I said in my previous review of The Selection that I liked the love triangle, I take that back. It was really insufferable in The Elite. America is the most indecisive character I have ever come across. Aspen or Maxon, Maxon or Aspen? Aspen is her first love and FEELINGS, but she would be crazy to throw away a life of privilege with Maxon, also FEELINGS. I wanted to claw my eyes out, it got so tiresome. Also I didn't really understand Maxon, in the first book he basically swore all consuming love for America, but in this book he was all like YOLO, you aren't the only girl in the selection you know. Confused.

Although the politics in this world acts as second fiddle to the romance, I really am intrigued. I fully support the rebels, I want the royal family gone and the caste system obliterated. Lots of shocking things happen in this book which I was not expecting. The ugly cracks are beginning to show, and I like ugly.

Seeing as the main conflict of this book is whether or not America will be chosen, I can't see it going any other way. I want her to be with Aspen, but I just know she won't choose him! The set up is obvious. That's another criticism, its predictable. I am hoping The One will prove me wrong! Also if Celeste gets murdered horribly or doused in acid, I wouldn't mind. Wow. That was dark.

Light, fluffy, fast paced, entertaining. I can't ask for more really!

No comments:

Post a Comment