Monday, 29 May 2017

Review: The One by Kiera Cass

Title: The One
Series: The Selection #3
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher:  HarperCollins
Pages: 336
Genres: Science Fiction, YA, Dystopian

For the four girls who remain at the palace, the friendships they’ve formed, rivalries they’ve struggled with and dangers they’ve faced have bound them to each other for the rest of their lives.

Now, the time has come for one winner to be chosen.

America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown or to Prince Maxon’s heart. But as the competition approaches its end and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realises just how much she stands to lose and how hard she’ll have to fight for the future she wants.
This series is like eating sweets, you know it's doing nothing for you but it's delicious so you can't stop until you get a gut ache, and then regret, so much regret. Also, I feel like the title of this book is a huge spoiler. The red-head on the cover is obviously supposed to represent America, and she is in a white dress with the title The One. Come on now. It's painfully obvious how this book was going to end.

I actually didn't like America much in this one, she was insufferable. She openly admits that Aspen is her back-up plan which is kind of shitty. Maxon, again, declares his undying love for her whilst eating the faces off the other contestants. I mean, it just gave me an ick feeling. But despite that, The One had some good twists and turns that I was not expecting and I audibly gasped in places.

I think overall this was a good conclusion to the trilogy, however, I really don't want to read The Heir or The Crown as I feel like I have had my fill of this particular young adult, sugary sweet candy fluff series. This book IS candy fluff, that is a perfect way to describe it. Also, does anybody else think that the white dress on the cover looks like a cake? No? Just me then...

Maxon did grow on me in this book, I'll admit it. He is kind of a sweetie. Celeste has a redemption arc which I didn't really care for. Nice Celeste is hella boring. I was satisfied at where she ended up.

I would wholeheartedly recommend this series if you are craving an entertaining, fast paced, young adult romance with a (ultra light) dystopian backdrop. It's not mindblowing, but will get you out of a slump mighty quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment