Tuesday, 23 May 2017

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

Title: The Selection
Series: The Selection #1
Author: Kiera Cass
Publisher:  HarperCollins
Pages: 336
Genres: Science Fiction, YA, Dystopian

Thirty-five beautiful girls. Thirty-five beautiful rivals…

It’s the chance of a lifetime and 17-year-old America Singer should feel lucky. She has been chosen for The Selection, a reality TV lottery in which the special few compete for gorgeous Prince Maxon’s love.

Swept up in a world of elaborate gowns, glittering jewels and decadent feasts, America is living a new and glamorous life. And the prince takes a special interest in her, much to the outrage of the others.

Rivalry within The Selection is fierce and not all of the girls are prepared to play by the rules. But what they don’t know is that America has a secret one which could throw the whole competition and change her life forever.
I am not sure what I was expecting from this book as it is a super popular series, I felt like I knew the story. It pleasantly surprised me. The first person narration of America Singer didn't annoy me at all, like I thought it would. Apart from her weird name she was pretty likeable, for me anyway. She is from a low caste in this world and has an obvious talent for singing/playing musical instruments but that uber special snowflake talent wasn't shoved in my face every ten seconds like I predicted. So yeah, like I said, I was presently surprised by how likeable she actually was. Yay! One star instantly for that.

I feel like I have to mention that there is (kind of?) a love triangle. I know. Love triangles often come up top for most people's most hated YA tropes list BUT I actually liked it. Weird! Aspen is the underdog, he is from a lower caste family than even America, and I really digged the secret and forbidden love they had going on. I'm just going to say it... I really LOVED Aspen and I am rooting for them; that may change when I continue on the series, who knows? I definitely do want to continue on this series and I don't feel like I need to justify it. It was entertaining, light and fluffy, and sometimes that's all I need.

So I have come this far in writing this review and I haven't mentioned the man of the hour, the star of The Selection, Prince Maxon. Ugh. I am not sold on his Princeliness if I am totally honest. He is a bit of an odd duck to me. Total cringe on his 'my dear' catchphrase. I can imagine him saying that in the plummiest British accent ever, which is odd because this world is set in the former USA, so he wouldn't have a British accent. Damn my involuntary brain schemas.

In summary, I enjoyed The Selection for what it was - a quick, simple and entertaining read. So three stars is all it's getting, and I actually might jump into the next book right away. Why not.

No comments:

Post a Comment