Monday, 5 June 2017

May 2017 - Reading Wrap Up


Another month of three star reads and under. This was also the month of my first ever Dickens, which was a bitter disappointment. I also marathoned a popular young adult series, which surprised me but I have no regrets. I managed to shoehorn in another classic and non-fiction this month as it was one of my personal reading goals to read at least one classic and non-fiction every month, so that was good. But enough of my waffle.

My May reads were:



My first ever Dickens, and it was a massive dud for me. I really disliked his writing style and really resented how much he dragged this story out unnecessarily. The story starts off strong, following young Pip, who is an orphan being brought up by his sister and her blacksmith husband. Pip is a bit of a snob at heart and hates his modest rural upbringing; his dreams come true when a stranger visits to tell him he has a mysterious benefactor who wants to pay for him to become a 'gentleman'. The story gets ever more tedious from there. Not my cup of tea, and I am not sure if I even want to read another book written by Dickens.

★ - The Doctor's Wife is Dead by Andrew Tierney

A true crime book focusing on the mysterious death of a doctor's wife in nineteenth century Ireland. Andrew Tierney is a descendent of the poor woman, which is interesting but sadly the actual content of the book is not. Too many names to keep track off, no actual resolution of what the wife died of. It left me with a lot of lukewarm feelings. Can't say I would recommend. Gorgeous cover though.






★ - Girls Will Be Girls by Emer O'Toole


The more I think about this book, the more I don't like it. It is Emer O'Toole's memoir about growing up in Ireland and discovering feminism. If not shaving and occasionally dressing as a boy is your idea of what feminism is ultimately about, then this is the book for you. I found it a bit tedious to read, it covers a lot of basic information such as the fluidity of gender, sexuality, etc. It doesn't really add anything new to the conversation, in my opinion. 





★ - When We Collided by Emery Lord


I don't often read young adult contemporaries because I find that I don't really connect to them, and I feel like a lot of them play it safe. For a story to really hit me in the feels, it has to go to a dark place and they rarely do. Nonetheless, this book was enjoyable enough. It features Vivi, a ball of energy and sufferer of mental health as she falls for local boy, Jonah. It's quite tepid but the ending was good. 
The second book in the series and it was not very good. It was just okay, which is not what I want. I want amazing deduction to blow my mind, and sadly, Sherlock doesn't deliver in this particular book. Holmes firmly shuts the reader out of his head in this book, and no answers are given until the huge info dump chapter at the end where the villain tells his life story. YAWN. Nothing clever, just watching events slowly unfold. Not his best.
I feel like everyone and their mother has read this series, and now I can finally join the club. Not particularly well written but the story is engaging enough that it made me finish the whole series almost immediately, which is a rare thing. It follows America Singer as she is selected to appear in The Selection, where a bunch of pretty girls are fighting to become the next queen. There is a light dystopian backdrop. It was interesting.






 - The Elite by Kiera Cass

The Selection continues! Girls are getting catty, there is a lot of confusion over which love interest to pick. Blah blah blah. Again, interesting enough.












 - The One by Kiera Cass

Finally, the prince has chosen the one! Look at the cover, can you guess who it was? Can you? A good enough end to the trilogy but nothing mind blowing. It kept me entertained. What more can I say.










 - A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas

I cannot tell you how psyched I was for this book. I had it pre-ordered and everything which is relevant because I NEVER pre-order books. Anyway, this is the third book in the A Court of Thorns and Roses series and it was a good end to Feyre's storyline. It wasn't perfect, the ending was a bit of a disappointment but I don't hate it. I have so much love for this series and will probably be re-reading it in future. It's not for everyone but I love it and would (obviously) highly recommend it.





 - A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett

An adorable story about how important optimism and imagination is when going through adversity. Little Sara Crewe tragically loses her father, her fortune and is subsequently left under the mercy of her boarding school's charity, working as a servant. I think this is a brilliant story for children and I wish I had read it when I was younger. It has a lot of differences to the 1995 film and is in my opinion better. There is a fair bit of struggle but it has such a beautiful message. Not perfect, but is one of my favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment