Tuesday, 27 June 2017

Review: Second Glance by Jodi Picoult

Title: Second Glance
Author: Jodi Picoult
Publisher:  Hodder and Stoughton
Pages: 480
Genres: Paranormal, Fiction

When a plot of land is being developed in Vermont against the will of a local Native American tribe, strange things begin to happen - and Ross Wakeman, a paranormal investigator, is asked to get involved. He's a desperate drifter who's taken up ghost hunting in an effort to cross paths again with his fiancee, who died in a car crash eight years ago, but he has yet to experience anything even remotely paranormal. Then Ross meets Lia . . . As a seventy-year-old murder case is reopened, a shocking secret about a crime of passion long past is revealed.
I went through a phase when I was in University of reading a lot of Jodi Picoult books, and I remember loving all the twists she put in her books. So, as you may imagine, I was excited to dive back into another of her novels and I had owned Second Glance for ages. It started off great but then slowly got worse until I actually did not like this book at all.

Firstly, the edition that I had had an extremely ugly cover that told you nothing about the book. Provided no hint whatsoever. I mean from looking at that cover you would never guess in a million years that this book is about ghost hunting, eugenics, and an Indian burial ground. The plot was very interesting at first, even if the twists were very predictable, but it completely lost me in the last third of the book. The ending was terrible. Absolutely awful. I actually feel resentful that I had invested so much of my time reading such a chunker (over 400 pages), and yet got no payoff whatsoever.

So what exactly is this book about? It's about Ross, who is an amateur paranormal investigator, and he is hired to investigate weird happenings in a small town in Vermont. A developer wants to build a mall on a patch of land that is reported to be an Indian burial ground, but it's not working out due to all of the unexplained things that are going on. It's not just about Ross though, there is a plethora of other characters that all link together by the end. Ghosts are real and it's pretty implausible which wouldn't have bothered me if it was done better. There was a scene towards the end which was just ridiculous and included dynamite. Honestly terrible.

Overall, this book is 'meh' and I can't say I would recommend it to anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment